Friday 28 September 2012

Circular narrative

One of the two assignments within this module is on circular narrative, for this assignment I have been given and image of an exit sigh, which is shown below -


I have to use this image at both the first and last image' within my circular narrative sequence. At this moment in time I am not entirely sure what my intentions are, I have a few ideas but nothing solid enough to work with yet.

I feel that doing some more research will help influence my decisions at this point, helping me gain a bit more direction with what I want my narrative to be about.

Circular narrative -




Above is an example of circular narrative within a comic strip that I came across, it starts and ends with the same scene, the first scene shows the situation that the character is in, with the next seven scenes showing how he has come to be in that situation, and then the final scene goes back and creates that link for the circular narrative. This is somewhat like what I want to do, but like I said above I'm still not too sure how to go about it.


Here is another example of circular narrative, however it is one where it is just a continuous cycle and no images are the same;


but the cycle is forever continuous and once it ends, it just starts over again with the writing the letter, posting the letter, receiving and opening it.


"Popular cinema of the ’90s saw some radical and fascinating experiments with conventional notions of narrative time and logic. Beginnings revealed themselves later to be endings; narratives followed circular routes; multiple narrative paths, independent of each other, crossed, entwined, merged and diverged; characters did not develop in any “conventional” way, they appeared then disappeared, dying in one scene and then alive in another." - http://sensesofcinema.com/2000/feature-articles/circular/

No comments:

Post a Comment